Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

In Texas can I be charged with a possession of controlled…

Customer Question
In Texas can I...

In Texas can I be charged with a possession of controlled substance if my co defendant is accepting the possession chatge

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the drug possession charges?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this yet?

Yes....he’s my court appointed lawyer and said I’m looking at 5 to life

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Also if I’m indigent and a lawyer was appointed to me by the courts can he charge me a fee of 40 thousand for representation

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yes, you can be charged even after someone else says that the drugs are his and not yours. Just because your co-defendant is willing to take the weight of the offense doesn't mean that the DA believes him. It also doesn't mean that the two of you couldn't have been planning on sharing the drugs you possessed.

If you're indigent, the lawyer shouldn't be charging you, let alone trying to get $40,000 from you. You might want to ask the judge to appoint you another public defender as you think this one is trying to cheat you.