Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a property owner in a community governed by an HOA.

Good day. I...

Good day. I am a property owner in a Virginia community governed by an HOA. Pursuant to our bylaws, one-third of property owners have petitioned the HOA board of directors to call a special meeting to address homeowner concerns about selective enforcement of architectural standards. Specifically, a homeowner was denied a patio when patios proliferate within the community. This is but one of many examples. The board has indicated it will comply with the meeting but will not address homeowners on advice of counsel who fears potential litigation. Since no complaint has been file and, hence, no litigation exists, can they do this? Homeowners want answers.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

The affected homeowner has addressed the board many times, and exhausted the appeal process. The board stands firm.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a VA lawyer about this?

No.

3/28/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

What will be discussed at the meeting if the board is saying that it will not discuss what the special meeting is to be about?

Nothing. The board has agreed to meet, but has indicated the members will not participate.
I am at work and unable to speak freely by telephone. I am sorry.

We can continue here. So, is the board stating it will remain silent during the whole meeting or what is the board saying it will discuss?

The board has indicated it will address questions on any topic except the reason the special meeting is being called. They have cited the advice of counsel, as potential litigation is feared on this issue. That being, the selective enforcement of community bylaws, and a complaint by a homeowner who was denied a patio.

I see. Generally, a board would have to carry out its fiduciary duty pursuant to the bylaws and other corporate documents or as per statute Not discussing the issue at the special meeting, even if recommended by counsel, could be considered a breach of the duty. It sounds like this would go to litigation in any event. Hence, possibly that is the reason counsel provided the advice to the board. It could appear that the board is not going to change the position it has held. Since minutes will be kept at the meeting, the meeting minutes would be used as evidence one way or another, for or against either party.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer
Agreed. Thanks very much. I'm grateful.

You are very welcome.