Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My condo board has, for the past many years, held numerous…

Customer Question
My condo board has...

My condo board has, for the past many years, held numerous board meetings "in the dark" - no notice, no nothing. Essentially they meet up in someones unit or at the pool. What can I do to stop this practice?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Not really. Not sure what paperwork to prepare.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

Deerfield Beach. And by the way, I have been told, by board members, that they have the Board attorney at these meetings. I think that's a problem for the attorney if my understanding of the law is correct. My understanding is that anytime a quorum of the board meets to discuss association business, that is a meeting that has to be noticed, with and agenda, with the owners having the opportunity to speak.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. 720.303 of the FL Statutes requires that board meetings be open to all of the members. Generally, private meetings are allowed even if there is a quorom of board members if they are discussing matters where it is protected by attorney-client privilege or if it is employment matters for an employee of the HOA.

If they aren't discussing these issues, then you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising that they are in violation of the FL statutes. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. Otherwise, their private meetings are legal. Getting clarification on the reasons is going to be key.

How else can I help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer