Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can I delay a foreclosure in a home that is completely paid…

Customer Question
Can I delay a foreclosure...
Can I delay a foreclosure in a home that is completely paid for but behind in property taxes by petitioning. I only need an extra month or two to be able to pay taxes
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have legal basis to do so, you may file an objection to tax sale and serve the tax assessor and sheriff the notice of suit and summons for court. This will delay the sale of the property. However, it is also something you would need a local attorney to file in court for you to make sure it is filed correctly and also is served on the sheriff and assessor in time to stop the sale.

Another option is contacting the Assessor and making a partial payment now and ask for a payment plan, which is at the discretion of the Assessor as to whether or not to agree to the plan.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.