Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My wife and I just moved into a home in January 2018. We…

My wife and I...

My wife and I just moved into a home in January 2018. We went through closing but were never given the HOA Covenants until just recently. We decided to extend a concrete slab (11'X4") by putting pavers next to it and extending the slab out by an additonal 7 feet. The HOA has said we did not get permission from the HOA and the Arc committee. Plus we were blocking the an area in "our" back yard denying egress and ingress. access. They have held a meeting, with us attending to let us know what violations we committed and then they required us to draw up plans for the extended patio and present them to the board. We complied and received permission to make the extension conform. In their letter to force us to change the extension, they also mentioned they are referring our case to the "Fining Committee for a suitable fine.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

The only paper work given to them is the drawing of necessary changes for the patio to conform to size and location.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Fort Walton Beach, Fl. *********

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Will this cost me?

3/28/2018
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Did your contract to purchase require the seller or the HOA to provide you with HOA governing documents? Were you aware there was an HOA?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
we were aware, but we did not receive the HOA rules until this month, after we met with the HOA BOARD. Rules received on 16th or 17th of March.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Did I. tell u they are sending our case to the HOA Fineding board to determine a suitable $ fine.

Your telephone call request is being processed. Thank you for you patience.

The issue is that when you purchase real property in a deed restricted community you are bound the HOA rules and regulations? By purchasing the property you agree to abide the laws that govern the HOA. I am trying to ascertain why you did not receive these documents prior to your purchase.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Managing Partner
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I don't have. an answer for that. My realtor has since moved back to Maryland due to family concerns.

You Are required to be in compliance. Do you have a copy of the contract from when you purchased your home?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I do have a copy of the contract.
Did you receive a telephone call?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
is the call today going to cost me another $56��
You would need to contact customer service. The Attorneys have no access to customer account or billing information. They can get you back in touch with the Attorney you spoke to. Thank you.
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney