Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am the co-signer on a 10 month lease, two months into it…

Customer Question
I am the co-signer...

I am the co-signer on a 10 month lease, two months into it and my son has decided to leave town and vacate the apartment. The management is telling me that he needs to sign a 60 day notice to vacate and then I have to pay for 60 days and a lease termination fee. If he cannot sign the notice (I cannot locate him to sign it), I will be liable for the full ten months rent. What can i do

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, I have just talked to the management and they are talking to their management and are supposed to be calling me tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the apartment located?

Lakewood colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Unfortunately, you are correct...you are on the hook for the rent if son doesn't pay it.. With that said, if they evict him for nonpayment, then they can only hold you liable for any lost rent until they re-rent... And they have a duty to mitigate their damages by attempting to re-rent as soon as possible... So if it takes them a month to re-rent, they can only hold you liable for that month's rent..

.

So no, it is not likely that you will be liable for the full ten months... a couple, maybe..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much