Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter with three children has been renting this house…

My daughter with three...

My daughter with three children has been renting this house in Westland ,Michigan. Now the owner said she's got 30 days to get out or buy the house. She's never been late on the payment. She's rented the house for 5 years, paid 82,000$ for rent

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?

No , we don't knew what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a MI lawyer about this?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it, tks

3/27/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer
Hello. Let me see if I can assist.
Give me a moment to review and type my reply.
Does she have a writen lease? If so, the lease agreement cannot be canceled early unless it allows it specifically in the lease.
If there is no written lease, then her lease is a verbal month-to-month lease. There is no right to renewal. Under a month to month lease, the landlord, unfortunately, has the right to terminate the lease with 30 days notice.
Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.
She has a lease, but she's at the end of the lease.
Unfortunately, the landlord has the right to not renew. However, if the lease provides for automatic renewal, then she has the right to force the landlord to honor the terms of the agreement.
Lori
Lori, Lawyer