Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I signed a lease in 2008 with a property manager in Florida…

Customer Question
I signed a lease...

I signed a lease in 2008 with a property manager in Florida that was not an Attorney or Real Estate Broker. The lease was not a FREC formatted lease, it was a generic lease created by the property owner. Was the lease a legal document? I have been sent to collections for charges that I had no control over (ie., water damage to downstairs vacant apartment coming from underneath my bathtub, carpet replace my after residing ther for 4 years and reporting stains at move-in, etc). I want to dispute and have the account removed from my credit reports but have not been successful to date.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I sent a dispute to Eqifax and Transunion but creditor refuses to release me from responsibility.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, is the lease a legal Florida lease since it was not a FL bar approved lease and wasn’t prepared by an Attorney?

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer
Hello. Let me see if I can assist. I am a FL attorney with over 25 years experience. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.
A lease does not have to be prepared by a lawyer or a realtor to be binding. It does not need to be a FL bar or FL board of realtors form to be effective.
A lease has to contain all the material terms of the lease to be enforceable-length of the lease, amount of rent, duties of the parties, etc.
Does you lease specify if you or the landlord is responsible for the plumbing and maintenance?
You can file a counterclaim against the landlord for failure to fix and repair the water leak/tub that you reported to him at move in.
Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.
Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer