Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I went through a divorce and signed a stipulation deeding…

I went through a...

I went through a divorce and signed a stipulation deeding the house to my ex..... yet my name is ***** ***** the title. Arent I completely off the house when I sign more then just a stipulation? Isnt there more paperwork involved , and arent I still entitled to half the assets of the house?, i.e. furniture, etc.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Just the stipulation that gives me 20k at signing, and 50k after the sale of the house... this was signed by a judge

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thanks!

3/27/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

She can file a copy of the stipulation with the county recorder's office to get a new deed in your name only. Or you could sign a quitclaim deed, and she could file that instead.

Personal items, including furniture, wouldn't be included in a stipulation as to ownership of the the house unless it said so. If the two of you don't have a settlement agreement that discusses how the contents of the house will be distributed, the judge should have addressed that as part of the divorce. You should be getting half of what's in there (or half the value). You can file a Motion to Distribute Community Property if the judge didn't address any of that and it's not in the stipulation.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I definitely understand the asset part, thank you. What shes doing is withholding my 20k with excuse after excuse, so my goal is that hopefully I still have the house in my name until other paperwork needs to be filed , not just the stipulation ( which is all I signed)

I can understand that. If she requests that you sign a quitclaim, you can refuse until she pays you.

You can also file an Order to Show Cause asking the judge to hold her in contempt for not giving you your share of the money.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/fl410.pdf

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer