Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm not sure what my rights are concerning real estate here…

Customer Question
I'm not sure what...

I'm not sure what my rights are concerning real estate here in AZ. I have an investment partner that uses the place as his residence. He wants me out of the picture. I have kept my clothes and a few personal belongings there, but now his bullying is at an all time high. I just want to pack up my things and leave him alone. If I do that, am I giving up any rights I have on the property?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I did retain a real estate attorney last year, I wasn't sure everything was legal from the title company. Too much of the paperwork did not have my name on it. Lots of questions there. But the attorney said the paperwork that needed my name on it was okay so I didn't pursue that.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AZ lawyer about this?

The AZ real estate attorney I had on retainer last year did write a letter to my partner, telling him I wanted to sell out to him or sell to someone else. I just wanted out. My partner never responded. My partner (Anthony) continued to (for lack of a better description) bully me, still continues to bully me. I do not consider this my residence. I care for my father who has dementia, and live in his home 30 + miles away. However, when one of my siblings comes to give me a break, I pack a bag and go to the home Anthony and I purchased together. Most of the time he doesn't want me there, so he bullies me until I leave. When I was reporting Anthony's actions to my attorney, he told me I would have to retain a criminal attorney. I'm not a rich person. Having just put up a retainer fee for him, I could not afford another one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I hope all of that makes sense. Yes. I believe Anthony has narcissistic personality disorder. If anyone is familiar with that, please connect me with them. Otherwise I will sound crazy. And I'm not.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Can you please explain this... I'm not following: "I did retain a real estate attorney last year, I wasn't sure everything was legal from the title company. Too much of the paperwork did not have my name on it. Lots of questions there. But the attorney said the paperwork that needed my name on it was okay so I didn't pursue that."

Maybe I should find an attorney. I apparently didn't realize this was only educational. I need representation. I'm sorry to have taken so much of your time.
No, thank you. I don't know what I can and cannot do at this point. I need legal counsel.
Real Estate Lawyer: Olivia Kent,
 replied 3 months ago

We can answer just about any question you have but we can't represent you (b/c we can't establish an attorney client relationship with you). That being said, even folks who have attorneys find this site hugely helpful b/c it saves the money on questions they would otherwise have to ask their attorneys.