Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I recently moved out of an apartment complex in Texas. My…

Customer Question
I recently moved out...

I recently moved out of an apartment complex in Texas. My landlord did not furnish a line item deduction of my deposit or return my deposit by thirty day. After talking with the apartment complex. They are applying the deposit as a deduction 40 days after surrender. I see that according to Texas law they are acting in bad faith and I should be entitled to three times the rent, 100 dollars, and burden of proof of any deductions. I am not for sure if my case applies since they are applying the deposit beyond the thirty days and I don't want to attempt if I do not have a chance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Lease term is 2/20/17 - 2/15/18, no

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am currently being charged for replacing carpet of about $913 for "stains" but I did not have pictures. All of my rent was paid on time and all that I owe is for left over water bill, pest, trash fee and the carpet charge.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Since your landlord did not return your security deposit within 30 days, yes you can potentially file a lawsuit in small claims court.

However, you are receiving return of the security deposit shortly thereafter so this would drastically limit the amount you were able to receive, and in the end you may decide it's not worth the time, money, or effort of filing a small claims suit.

On the other hand, it appears that your landlord may be attempting to pursue you for a significant amount of damages to the apartment.

You only resided there for one year, do you feel that the alleged damages are accurate? Or do you believe the landlord has reached some false conclusions in regards ***** ***** charges?

The problem here though is that you did not take photos of the apartment at the time of your move out date. This means that you would not have any physical evidence to present in court, and it would come down to a matter of your word against your landlord's, or any pictures that he may have in his possession.

Of course, ultimately the decisions is yours, but you may find that you are lacking sufficient evidence to rebut his accusations.

I'm sorry to not have better news for you, but I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!