Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How do I get someone out of my house that was supposed to…

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get someone out of my house that was supposed to just stay 2 days and it is now 3 years. they dont pay rent or for anything , she just watches tv all day on my couch

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There are none she asked if she could stay 2 days

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Even though there is not a written lease and this person is not paying rent, you will need to obtain an eviction order to have them removed from your home.

In order to do so, you'll need to go in to the Clerk's Office at your local county courthouse and request the forms for an eviction order.

The clerks should be able to help you make sure your forms are properly filled out and filed.

Your case will then be set for an eviction hearing.

Since there is not a lease, you should receive a rather quick hearing date, usually within one week of filing.

This other person will also receive notice of the hearing.

At the scheduled hearing the judge will issue an eviction order, and this order is legally enforceable by police to have this person removed from your home.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Wow quick informative response
Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Thank you!

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha, the information you gave me is incorrect. the Clerks office does not handle evictions and they didnt know who does. and I paid 40.00 for incorrect information
Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

The county courthouse handles evictions, but the clerk of court's office is where your eviction request is filed so that you can obtain a hearing date.

In most jurisdiction, the clerk's office has the forms you need to request the eviction order.

If the clerk's office in your county doesn't have the forms, then they should have directed you to the self-help department within the courthouse.

I hope that helps, let me know if you still have any questions about this.