Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need t o change the title on my ,currently, Husband wife…

I need t o...

I need t o change the title on my ,currently, Husband wife as joint tenants, to husband wife as jopint tenants with right of survivorship, without causing a reassessment of taxes . How do I do that

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have prepared the grant deed, but I understand that if I just file this, I might be reassessed

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Irvine

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: You will also need to file a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (PCOR). Please click here for a copy of the form. You would check the "Yes" box to question L in Part 1 and "No" to the rest of the question. This notifies the county assessor that the "transfer" is not subject to reassessment.

Important Note: Although this transfer is not subject to reassessment, you should be aware that this does not mean that the assessor will not "try their luck" and try to reassess. I have dealt with many instances where they try to reassess. You may need to contact them after they send you the reassessment letter to correct their mistake. This is not guaranteed to happen, but I wanted to make you aware so that you would not get scared or confused.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can AOpt [email protected] and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.
Thank you. How about checking the last box number P. Other, to say that this is a transfer to Change the vesting of the property. Does is matter at all that the property is an income producing rental?

That is not necessary and it does not matter that it is a rental property.

Roy Hadavi
Thank you!

You're very welcome.

Thank you so much for the 5‑star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert‑royhadavi/ Or, simply request ARoy [email protected] in the first line of your question.