Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm planning on selling my home, and my ex-wife is still on…

Customer Question
Hi! I'm planning on...

Hi! I'm planning on selling my home, and my ex-wife is still on the title and mortgage. After just meeting with her, she has agreed to let me keep the equity at an 80/20 split (80% me, 20% her) since she did not live in the house for very long. I wanted to get some documentation drafted that states that we both agreed to these terms, and that we can then sign in front of a notary. How would I start going about this process?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Nothing yet, wanted to have a lawyer's help drafting the paperwork to ensure that it's air-tight.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Columbia Heights, MN

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else at this time.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/28/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You can just prepare a very simple agreement with your name and her name and date of the agreement and the terms of agreement. Make three copies of the agreement. Then both of you should appear in front of a Notary Public to sign the three copies of the agreement (conformed copies). She would keep one and you would keep one and the other one should be kept by you to be given to the escrow agent so that the agent would know how to distribute the proceeds from the sale.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law