Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighborhood HOA has sued me for not repainting our

My neighborhood HOA has...

My neighborhood HOA has sued me for not repainting our house. They decided everyone in the neighborhood had to have s fresh coat since the neighborhood is over 10 years old. I told them my house looks fine - there are no signs of chipping, cracking or fading. I asked for evidence that it needs it and they said they are not required to do that. I also let them know I cannot afford it. I agreed to have the trim painted. They said no, it must be the entire house. They said if I paint the entire house and pay their attorney fees, they will drop the $4000 in fines $25/day that they have imposed. Do I have to agree to any of this? Do I have a case if I counter sue for harassment? All my covenant says is general terms of maintaining the property. Only specific thing about paint is that you cannot paint without prior color approval. My house looks aesthetically pleasing from the street. Do they have the right to demand painting just because they think it’s time?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No I haven’t

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Atlanta Ga area

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I see no basis for their claim where there is no reasonable need for the repainting, and suing over such a thing is insane. That said, you can defend and raise defenses/counterclaim for abuse of process and harassment, as well as violation of fiduciary duty and violation of hoa rules.

If my reply is fast and acceptable, please reply "acceptable"

Acceptable

Great, kindly click on the 5 star rating on your page.

Infolawyer, Lawyer