Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son was injured by a closet door falling on his head

My son was injured...

My son was injured by a closet door falling on his head while asleep in his bed in Dec. only swelling after a ER visit. now he has frequent headaches. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?

None, he only went to the ER and a followup Dr.'s visit. He's scheduled for another visit on Thursday because of the headaches

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Grand Prairie, Tx. Derby Park apartments

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know what we can do

3/27/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The landlord is not liable for all injuries occurring on their property, only for those injuries that are caused by the negligence of the owners. So this means that to hold the landlord liable for this injury you have to prove they knew the closet door was defective and failed to make proper repairs and as a result your son was injured. If you have such proof, then the landlord can be sued for your child's injury and the pain and suffering caused by the injury and you would need to get a local personal injury attorney to represent your son in the matter if the landlord refuses to pay the medical care and some pain and suffering.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.