Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have pecan tres that were lost during hurricane ....how do…

Customer Question
I have pecan tres that...
I have pecan tres that were lost during hurricane Matthew....how do I deduct
For the loss? I have also purchased trusses for a pole barn for the pecan equipment can I deduct it?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/27/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

there are 2 ways to determine the value to deduct:

1.contact the insurance company and ask them to send out an agent/underwriter to determine the fair market value of the trees;

2. contact an arborist and ask for a written estimate as to value.

If the trusses were damaged (or a barn was damaged requiring the trusses to be repaired) that is generally an expense that can be claimed.

The trusses are to build a new barn and the trees are not insured. I need to know what form to use on my taxes.

Thank you;

please see page 18 here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p547.pdf

and explanation here:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc515

Form 4684 here

Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate 5 Stars to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score-thank you.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.