Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a nursing home take a person's dwelling if they are

Can a nursing home take...
Can a nursing home take a person's dwelling if they are hospitalized in the nursing home?
3/27/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Medicaid exempts the homestead as an asset, they have to sign statement that if able they intend to return home.Once the person deceases medicaid can file creditor claim in probate court for repayment of costs of care here.

They cannot take it while they are alive and can claim it as homestead.Afterwards they can assets a probate claim for costs of care under Tennessee law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer