Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

A Builder crossed onto my property, which was posted "No…

Customer Question
A Builder crossed onto...

A Builder crossed onto my property, which was posted "No Trespassing" , and removed a small water well shed that had been on our property for 40 years. They asked if they could remove it prior to the day they removed it and were told "No".

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

It has been one year (January 16, 2017) since they removed it. We sent them a letter requested they either rebuild a structure . They stated they would rather pay us to re-build it. When we sent them a letter requesting $2500 to hire someone to build it....they countered with $1500. We said no as the cost to re-build should be theirs. They now have a pending offer on the home they built ($1,950,000). I estimate they will make approx. $1,000,000 on the sale. I would like to know if there is some kind of lien I can file on the property for the negligent damage they caused.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Bellevue, WA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know what I can do to hold the Builder responsible prior to the closing of the property.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You can sue. The complaint would trigger a lien.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Alternatively, A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it! By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
The question was regarding if there is a lien type applicable for their negligence and destructive damage done to my property.
There is not. The filing of legal action will trigger a lien as would a subsequent judgment.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!