Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can you file a Quit Claim Deed if a handwritten addition to…

Can you file a...

Can you file a Quit Claim Deed if a handwritten addition to the terms had not been acknowledged (initialed) by both parties. I am in Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I am learning about probating the will since acreage (property) is involved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

I am trying to avoid legal fees since no cash is involved with the estate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The crux of the issue is a Quit Claim Deed for half ownership of the property dated 2016. A written addition of "rights of survivorship" is on the document but was not initialed by both parties. Is the Quit Claim legal without the acknowledgements of additions?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

It can be filed, but the handwritten addition would normally be without force and effect.

In other words, if Will designates "A" as sole beneficiary in 2014 and Quit Claim with handwritten addition to "B" for joint ownership filed in 2016; the Will trumps the Quit Claim?

The will covers what one owns at death. If at death didnt own it due to transfer, the deed controls. If handwritten changes were made after deed executed, those changes are meaningless, regardless of the will.

If my replies are fast and acceptable, kindly reply "yes"

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Should the Quit Claim have been filed by the County if not properly executed?

It should not.