Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a mortgage, 5 years of a 15 year note, and have

I have a mortgage...

I have a mortgage, 5 years of a 15 year note, and have defaulted because I neglected to pay 4 years of property tax. My lender, a private individual from whom I bought the house, paid the taxes. No he is planning to foreclose. My question is, if he forecloses and I secure a private loan to pay him off, am I able to due so. He maintains that once he begins the proceedings, I cannot pay off the loan and that it will revert back to him. My understanding is that even if it is in foreclosure, I can pay him and he must accept, if all costs are satisfied. So, which is it? Bob Ringo

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. i was informed on Thursday. I am putting together a lender package. I am going after some private lenders - family and friends. Not hard money. I owe 51k and it is valued at between 125 and 150k. Not an appraisal, just a r e estimate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Crystal River, FL 34429. It is on a salt water creek with Gulf access. Do you want the address?

OK. I did not understand. I'll just wait to hear.
3/26/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today.What does your agreement state about redemption?
It says there is no prepayment penalty. He says since I am in default that it does not apply. My main concern is this. In FL if the lender starts foreclosure, does the buyer have an opportunity to settle by payment in full of all outstanding debt?
No thanks about the phone. Are you still there? The connection dropped.
The prepayment penalty is about paying the loan off early, so it does not apply. Default is governed by the contract under Florida’s law.Once they start the process of foreclosure they do not have to accept payment of the arrears, they can just file the action.Florida foreclosures are judicial, which means the lender files a lawsuit in court to foreclose your home. Under Florida law, after foreclosure is granted, the court clerk must promptly file a certificate of sale after the foreclosure sale takes place (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 45.031(4)). This usually occurs within one day of the sale.You can redeem the home at any time before:the clerk files the certificate of sale, or
the time stated in the foreclosure judgment, whichever is later (Fla. Stat. Ann. § 45.0315). (You’ll get a copy of the foreclosure judgment from the court by mail. In most cases, the judgment will state that your right to redeem ends when the clerk files the certificate of sale.)However, you should appear in court after the summons is served and put in an answer.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
KLAW
KLAW, Arbitrator