Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have been trying to find the correct type of attorney I…

Customer Question
I have been trying...

I have been trying to find the correct type of attorney I need for damages to my personal belongings and cost that a water leak from the unit next to me caused. I was told by my Landlord I had to move out, I lost a lot due to all the water coming from her unit, I had to stay in a hotel for 3 weeks until a condo that I finally found was available. But the mental strain it put on me was out of this world. I would have panic attach's as soon as I pulled into the complex, I was having problems and making mistakes at my job, I couldn't sleep ect. I have called many but I can not seem to find the correct one to help me recoup my losses. This is the one and only time I did not have renters insurance in over 40 years. The water was just flowing into my unit from her bathroom. I sure hope you can help

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

All I have done is keep all my receipts. the text messages (some very nasty ones from my landlord) I have called many attorneys. I also feel landlord is part to blame as I had to move my belonging 2 times in a two week period

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the condo located?

333 Bay Place, Safety Harbor, FL - Also they replace NONE of the drywall and I do work for a General Contractor and there will be mold behind those walls and under the tile in the kitchen.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just I hope you all can help me to find someone that can help

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 26 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would use a civil litigation attorney to seek to recover for the leak from another unit causing you damage. If the leak was causing the damage and it was not caused by your unit, then the other unit owner is liable to you and as such, a civil litigation attorney would file this claim for you if the value of the claim is more than $5000 and it would need to go to the circuit court in the county where it occurred.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks and I hope that I can find one here in Pinellas County FL. that can help me.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Is a Civil Litigation attorney the type that what ever you get from the suit they take a portion or do you pay them up front.

Thank you for your reply.

They have a ton of attorneys all around Pinellas (Clearwater, Tampa, St. Pete). You can get one at the same site used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org

Every attorney negotiates their own fee, but yes, they can do this on a contingency basis.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer