Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a roommate right now with no lease agreement in my…

Customer Question
I have a roommate...

I have a roommate right now with no lease agreement in my home I am a homeowner what kind of addiction can I get him because I am out in like one of those because I have other people moving in

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have not filed any paperwork because I do not know what kind of notice to get home by three day notice if I do notice a 30 day notice because there is no lease agreement on how long he can stay for

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

West Valley city Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Free consultation

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. What do you mean

what kind of addiction can I get him

Are you asking the process to terminate your rental agreement?

Thank you

Sure...what is your question regarding this matter?

I am a homeowner I live in a town home I am renting a room to a remake I am meeting him to leave the house due to new roommate moving in he does not have a lease renewal of any sort signed I am wondering how long do I have to give them to move out I live in West Valley City Utah and I am trying to figure out if I am allowed to get him the three day notice and if he is not out what do I do Because I need him out of my house by this Sunday

No...you can not use a "3 day notice"...that is only available IF the tenant is late on rent. You have to give 30 days notice, in writing before you can evict. IF you try short cut this process, the court will simply toss your case out

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Even if it does not have a lease agreement And I have suspicion of him doing drugs weed mostly

That is correct...with no lease, you are in an "at will" tenancy and you have to provide notice, in writing, and the chance to find a new place to live.

You can call the police if you believe they have "weed".