Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can you file a Quit Claim Deed if a handwritten addition to…

Customer Question
Can you file a...

Can you file a Quit Claim Deed if a handwritten addition to the terms had not been acknowledged (initialed) by both parties. I am in Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I am learning about probating the will since acreage (property) is involved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

I am trying to avoid legal fees since no cash is involved with the estate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The crux of the issue is a Quit Claim Deed for half ownership of the property dated 2016. A written addition of "rights of survivorship" is on the document but was not initialed by both parties. Is the Quit Claim legal without the acknowledgements of additions?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If the additional terms were not included or referenced in the deed and added later the deed is valid, but not the addendum. That would need to have been done in a separate and subsequent deed or a refiling of the original deed to correct a "scrivener's error"

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.