Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Does the word Assigns in deeds apply to renters in property.

Customer Question
Does the word Assigns...

Does the word Assigns in deeds apply to renters in property. I am considering purchasing a vacant lot and convert to a Boat and RV storage facility capable of 92 10ftX25ft lots. the

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Does the word Assigns in deeds convey to 3rd party rentals? i am considering purchasing a vacant lot and convert it to a Boat and RV storage lot with 92 spaces. The road it abuts is privately owned by an HOA but the present owner privileges convey to me,my heirs and assigns. t

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the vacant lot located?

Myrtle beach, sc

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 4 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Yes, it applies. And yes, to assign typically means that the right in a contract is assigned to a THIRD PARTY, although the exact meaning of course depends on the verbiage.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

This is complete question: I am considering buying a commercial vacant lot to convert to a boat and rv rental storage lot. The present owner of the lot has deeded access right to his property on a private road owned by an HOA. His rights are in perpetuity and convey to his heirs and Assigns. As the new owner i am reading this Assigns privilege would convey to me. My larger concerns are the potential 92 customers that would rent lots. will they be considered Assigns and granted access by me as new owner or could they be subject to trespassing violations if the HOA so desired?

Thank you. Yes, they would be considered assigns for as long as they rent the lots. So they would not be trespassing.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"