Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Home loan default some 26 years ago while i dad. Home

Home loan default some...

Home loan default some 26 years ago while i dad

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Home default some 26 years ago while i have not known of this default until I refinance with VA in 2017 received notice January 11, 2017 stating original debt of $30,746.58 with interest of $24,855.65. They are withholding my disability check of $2038.29 per month. I have reached out offering $800 monthly to repay they declined offer. I have a comprise offer of additional $12,000.00 plus the monies withheld since September 2017. They declined stating they could not consider the monies already withheld.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a VA lawyer about this?

I have sent a email no response at this time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there time statue

3/26/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Aside from their being a statute of limitations, can you clarify if you have any other questions? In other words, what do you wish to know, exactly?

Ely, Counselor at Law
What legal recourse do I have to stop withholding my monthly check and recover the monies that I have paid. Also do I have any legal grounds for the statute of limitations?
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

I am sorry to say that there is little that can be done. If this is the VA, then they can withhold money even from your benefits, I am afraid, because they are themselves a government agency. There is really no silver bullet to stop them from withholding money from the benefits.

As for statute of limitations, if you tell me what state this is in, I can perhaps have some better news...