Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in an apartment and someone else moved in my

Customer Question
I live in an...

I live in an apartment and someone else moved in my apartment and when I ask them to move out they don't vacate the place. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I don't know how to find an attorney for this dispute.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Lease is in my name. Yes there are maintenance issues

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Sure

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This sounds like you may need to begin the eviction process against the person under MO law:

The eviction process applies to all landlords and tenants and the law does not concern itself whether the agreement is in writing or whether the tenant has paid rent. Eviction procedures also apply to tenants and subtenants as well. Regardless, although a landlord will have to go through eviction procedures, the landlord must pay special attention to some important legal concepts.

Generally, a landlord must follow procedural requirements when issuing an eviction notice. This means a tenant must receive written notice of the eviction before it is effective; in most cases it is at least 30 days. In addition, a landlord’s eviction is unlawful generally if they violated the implied warranty of habitability; the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment; if the landlord has locked the tenant out; if the landlord has failed to uphold promises made in the agreement; or if the tenant has cured a problem such as past due rent. Plus, landlords cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation under the Fair Housing Act. So, if you are going to evict, you must be very careful that you’re providing enough time and doing it for the right reasons. Regardless, if a tenant fails to pay the agreed upon rent, is at the end of their tenancy, or is not performing promises in the agreement, then you can evict.

If you click here, you can see the variety of eviction notices that are available to you depending on your situation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

I am the tenant, I have disputes with sub tenant who has not yet signed the lease. How do I deal with it?

I understand. If you have a subtenant, then the law actually considers you a landlord believe it or not. This means that you have to go through those same procedures I described above for it to be legal. Does that make sense?

Hi, just wanted to follow up to ensure you're 100% satisfied. Did what i put earlier make sense? What questions did you have for me about it?

Are you located in Missouri? If yes, can I get an appointment?
I wish I was, but I'm out in California. I think if you go to a local legal aid clinic they may be able to help you for free. If you don't have any other questions, would you mind providing me a 5-star rating today?