Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had an apartment which I put down a $2500. security

Customer Question
I had an apartment...

I had an apartment which I put down a $2500. security deposit. When I moved out I washed all the windows, blinds, cabinets inside and out washed the floors, cleaned the carpet, stove, refrigerator. I told the landlord I knew about bad landlords. His reply was you know Lynn you are not going to win. I never received my deposit back. He said there was to much soap in the carpet. I wondered what lab gave him that report. These are the kind of landlords they should do something about.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Westmont, ILLinois

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease said that the place had to be in the condition that I left it. The only thing I forgot to do was clean the ceiling fan. I even washed the walls down.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just want to know how they get away with this.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 26 days ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did the landlord ever send you an itemized list of damages and deductions within 30 to 45 days after you moved out?

.

Did you provide him with a forwarding address?

.

.

thanks

If the landlord fails to return the security deposit within 45 days, the tenant is recover twice the amount owed, plus court costs and “reasonable” attorney fees (765 ILCS 710(c).

.

(c) Upon a finding by a circuit court that a lessor has refused to supply the itemized statement required by this Section, or has supplied such statement in bad faith, and has failed or refused to return the amount of the security deposit due within the time limits provided, the lessor shall be liable for an amount equal to twice the amount of the security deposit due, together with court costs and reasonable attorney's fees.
(Source: P.A. 100-269, eff. 1-1-18.)

.

.

thanks

Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 24 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer