Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My brother and I are going to sell our Mother’s house she…

My brother and I...

My brother and I are going to sell our Mother’s house she left us in her will. We are not on good terms. Can I require that the buyer provide separate checks split equally to the closing?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have agreed to the realtor. But she is a cousin to his wife. We have not signed a contract.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Texas

3/26/2018
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good evening. yes, this happens all the time. Real estate sales are handled either by a title company or a closing attorney. Whichever it is in your case, they will prepare a HUD-Closing Statement setting forth the sale proceeds, closing costs, etc, and then show a net proceeds amount due the sellers. If the property is owned by both of you under the will, you simply need to instruct the closing attorney or title company to deliver 1/2 of the proceeds to your brother and 1/2 to you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Can I include this stipulation in the realtor contract? When should I make my requirements known?

You could put it in there, but it really isn't necessary. I would let the title company who is going to handle the closing know once you have a contract with a purchaser and deposit it and the earnest money with the title company.

Thanks

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Lawyer

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!