Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Well I’m having major problems with my home that I just

Customer Question
Well I’m having major...

Well I’m having major problems with my home that I just bought 7 months ago.. I have had 30 service requests since I moved in to fix things in my house .. for example my bathtub removed 4 times because they gave me a chipped tube all 4 times .. they also did not protect the tub or my white carpet and had to replace everything... they did not nail the subfloor down in my mater bathroom floor and came to regrout 5 times ... finally after we called and argued they ripped my floor up and found that nothing was nailed down and had to replace the floor... I had my lawn ripped up because they never took the plug out of the water line when they checked the water lines and also we found to soda cans in the drain ... that caused the sewage to back up into my brand new home and flood my down stairs. My kitchen cabinets crown molding feel off and almost hit me and my 3 year old daughter in the head.. again they only put 1 nail just to hold it up.. the bottom of my cabinets all came off after a month of living in the house. When they came to fix they found that the wood had been broken in 3 places... now my side yard and back yard flood.. they first told me nothing was wrong and that it was just Florida ... but the rest of my yard doesn’t do that ... well 8 other homeowners had the same problem so they just decided to try and fix it.. well guess what it was not fix still have the problem.. they are now saying that they will not come back and fix it.. I said it’s a public health problem because in fl water that sits around attracts mosquitoes... also now I was told that I’m supposed to have a 5 foot eneasment around my house and my neighbors are supposed to have the 5 foot eneasment as well ... I was told we should have 10 feet between the houses pluse what ever property we have... I have my site plans and I have the eneasment but my neighbors house that was just built is built on his eneasment.. so I lost my privacy and view ... that’s why I bought this property and wanted to be on the cul-de-sac so I was not next to my neighbors... I also believe I lost land because of this.. I will know more when I go to the city tomorrow and ask the code or building if this is true.. I have so much more but I think I have already said a lot ... I need help and I need someone to point me in the right direction..

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have seen many lawsuits against Moranda Homes on line.. that’s the builder that built my house ...

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/25/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 25 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, a seller and/or their real estate agent is required to provide any information to the buyer regarding any material defects to the home. The failure to do so could result in civil liability under Florida Statute 689.25.

Accordingly, this appears to be a case of fraudulent misrepresentation. Basically, fraudulent misrepresentation is when someone intentionally makes material statement or makes a material omission that induces someone else to enter into an agreement. The other party can also be held liable for negligent misrepresentation if they state a fact that induces the other party to enter into an agreement without having reasonably checked on the accuracy of their statements. A fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation can lead to the rescindment of a contract in addition to a payment of damages to the other party who was misled.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that you be reimbursed for all of these problems they did not disclose. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Tina, Lawyer