Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Georgia Open Meeting Act says my City Council can have

Executive Session to “authorize negotiations...
Georgia Open Meeting Act says my City Council can have Executive Session to “authorize negotiations to purchase, dispose of or lease property”. Is that only as relates to property the city owns or plans to lease or purchase, or is closed Executive Session legitimate if a developer is presenting an idea to the city regarding his plans to purchase and develop the land of a private citizen, and the city has no plans to purchase, dispose of or lease that property?
I had an important phone call and missed the person online trying to help me.
I wasn’t sure which category this falls under. I will restate my question————— -Under the Georgia Open Meeting Act, Can the City Council meet in Executive Session to have a developer explain what he would like to do with an abandoned property he wants to buy from a private citizen, motivating the City Council to pass a high density ordinance he needs to keep the City Council from having to spend limited resources to condemn the property and allowing him to put more units (with more potential profits) on the property than traditional zoning allows? I hope this is clearer and someone can help me.
3/26/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the OCGA, one of the reasons for executive session would be to authorize the ordering of an appraisal related to the acquisition or disposal of real estate. Another would be to authorize negotiations to purchase, dispose of, or lease property. The law says it shall be permitted, which does not mean it is mandatory. See: OCGA 50-14-3.

If they are receiving information about a developer buying abandoned property from a private citizen, that would still be negotiations to purchase, dispose of or lease property or to appraise real estate for condemnation.

However, under GA Code, the matter must still be presented in public for comment and a proper vote.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Good Morning. Thank you so very much for taking the time to read my question and respond. Under Georgia law where? Do you mind telling me where I might find where the meeting is still supposed to be with the general public.
Also, did you happen to read my otherr question? If you don’t mind commenting on it, I wold really appreciate it.
I will write a good review after we are through. I cannot rate you now because it will “close” my question.

Thank you for your reply.

Rating does not close your question.

I provided you where you could find what you were looking for above, maybe you missed it, it is in OCGA 50-14-3. If you read that code it says that anything from executive session must subsequently come before the open meeting for discussion and vote.

I will comment on your other question in the other question, because it really is a separate matter from this question.

When you said “under the OCGA” to open the first paragraph, I could tell your answer was based on that code. When you opened your third paragraph, you said, “However, under GA Code”.... instead of saying something like, “Under the same code OCGA 50-14-3.......”. I just sounded like you were referencing something different. So sorry for missing that.I am totally new to Just Ask. I asked a medical question last night and as soon a I rated the MD it closed my question. I thought that was just the way it happened. Again, I apologize for the assumption. Thank you again for your help. I will rate you now.

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry, my mistake too for not making it clearer to you that it was all under the same code.