Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Dad passed away no will and the deed was never transferred…

Dad passed away no...

Dad passed away no will and the deed was never transferred to me but I reside in the home...he was married but her name isn’t on the deed either

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Not sure what steps to take

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that my dad verbally gave me the house

3/25/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You will need a Maryland lawyer to make application for interstate probate and to be named personal representative.The PR would deed it here, amounts to you deeding it to yourself.

You will need Maryland probate lawyer to file here and administer the estate.

Home > For the Public

Lawyer Referral Services

COUNTY NUMBER

Allegany County
(Christina Gonzaga-Hamilton)(301)(###) ###-####/p>

Anne Arundel County(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Baltimore City (###) ###-####/p>

Baltimore County (###) ###-####/p>

Calvert County
(Mark Carmean)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Caroline County
(Robert Thornton, Jr)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Carroll County(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Cecil County
(Jennifer Hammond)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Charles County(301)(###) ###-####/p>

Dorchester County
(Mid-Shore Pro-Bono Referral Service)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Frederick County(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Garrett County

Harford County(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Howard County(443)(###) ###-####/p>

Kent County

Montgomery County(301)(###) ###-####/p>

Prince George’s County(301)(###) ###-####/p>

Queen Anne County

Saint Mary's CountyNone, Use Charles or Calvert County

Somerset County
Mid-Shore Pro-Bono Referral Service(Anna M. Rounds)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Talbot County
(Kara Miller)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Washington CountyNone, use Allegany, Frederick, or Baltimore County

Wicomico County
(Ashley Bosche)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

Worcester County
(Frank Benvenutu)(410)(###) ###-####/p>

I am so sorry for your loss.Prayers to you here with all.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The wife has already been named the administrator

Here are the laws that apply unless there was a will

Who Gets What in Maryland?

Under intestate succession, who gets what depends on whether or not you have living children, parents, or other close relatives when you die. Here’s a quick overview:

If you die with:here’s what happens:

• children but no spouse
  • children inherit everything
  • spouse but no descendants or parents
  • spouse inherits everything
  • spouse and children who are minors
  • spouse inherits 1/2 of your intestate property
  • children inherit everything else
  • spouse and descendants, but no children who are minors
  • spouse inherits $15,000 worth of your intestate property, plus 1/2 of the balance
  • descendants inherit everything else
  • spouse and parents but no descendants
  • parents inherit everything else
  • parents but no spouse or descendants
  • parents inherit everything
  • siblings but no spouse, descendants, or parents
  • siblings inherit everything

You may want your own lawyer to protect your interest here under the law.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I think you’re right, do you have any recommendations?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also, did I mention that this property was acquired prior to their union

Use lawyer referral above I have it by county.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank u...was this conversation emailed to me

Yes Ja emails it to you once you rate 5 stars.Thanks

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer