Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How do I stop foreclosure on my home? Bank wants way more…

Customer Question
How do I stop...

How do I stop foreclosure on my home? Bank wants way more then what I can afford after my hubby passed away, as he was the breadwinner.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have done nothing. This is my 2nd time around. The 1st time, the bank would not budge on the payment amounts. I paid a few months here and there, but then stopped.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Dutchess county NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Like what?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/26/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You may consider filing for Chapter 13 bankruptcy to stop he foreclose. Once the bankruptcy is filed,you would give the Notice of Bankruptcy Case Filing to the law firm handling the foreclosure for the lender so that any scheduled foreclosure sale would immediately be suspended pending the outcome of your bankruptcy case.

With a Chapter 13, you would be given an opportunity to pay the amount in arrears through the Chapter 13 plan.

Click here for more information on Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

You can use the following sites to find local Bankruptcy Attorneys:

Nacba.org

Consumeradvocates.org

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

If you cannot afford Attorney, you can use bankruptcy petition preparers. You can use Google search to find the companies. Also, Bankruptcy Courts have pro se clinics that help debtors without Attorneys to file for bankruptcy relief.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

My name is ***** ***** the mortgage, rather I'm the "estate" so I do not think that filing for bankruptcy is an option (and also not 1 I would not want to pursue) I want to stay in our home but can not afford the $2100 monthly payment. I can afford $1100 max. Please advise. Thank you.

Thank you for the information. However, I am unable to further assist. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Goodluck with your case,

Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney. Are you still looking for help on your question?

I see. Have you attempted to (1) get the loaned assigned to you; and (2) get a loan modification or (3) get a re-financing?