Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am resident in Coral Springs, Florida and my house is in…

Hi. I am resident in...
Hi. I am resident in Coral Springs, Florida and my house is in my name. The house is subject to a Homestead Exemption in my name. I want to add my son's name to legal ownership and include his name in the Homestead Exemption, which I believe are two separate operations. How do I go about doing this?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Is your son going to live in the house as his principal residence with you?

he has already been here for several years
He is 35 years old.

Thank you. First, to put your son's name on the property, you would do this by signing a Quit Claim Deed transferring an undivided 1/2 interest as grantor to him as grantee. You would sign this Deed, have it witnessed and notarized, and then record it in the real property records of the city/county where the property is located. Let me know if you need a form for the Quit Claim Deed. Then, to claim the homestead exemption for both of you, you would contact the local taxing authority and complete and file a homestead exemption form with the taxing authority.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you. Yes lease, could you send me the appropriate form. Does this registration of ownership cost much ?

I've attached the template. And, no, there will simply be a small recording fee. :)

What department at the City should I submit the deed to?

The real property records. It's generally at the courthouse building. You can also mail it in. Google the real property records of your county and you'll find recording instructions.

That's great. Thank you. I've just printed form so if I have any questions on that I'll get back to you.
OK - I do have a question - the form implies that I am relinquishing my claim to the property, whereas I want to share my claim with him. How do I fill it in on that basis?
do we get this witnessed by a Notary before submitting by mail, and is the alternative to that us both going to the City and having them do the 'witnessing'?
whose name goes under (Wit) and what do I do in the 'seal' line?

You are assigning an undivided 50% interest in the property with the result being that you will both own 50%. You and the witnesses sign before a notary who then notarizes the deed. Then you can simply mail the original deed to the recording office for recording. Under the Witness name, you include the name of the witness signing. The seal will be the notary's seal.

I understand what I'm trying to do, but the words on the form don't say that. The form basically says change ownership from party 1 to party 2.
Notary's seal is at the bottom. I'm talking about half way down.
the 'Legal Description' is presumably the Lot details etc which are shown on the Real Estate Tax forms

The notary will put the notary's seal by each witness signature in addition to the one at the bottom after your signature. Regarding the form....and remember it's a form to go by...in the WITNESSETH section, after the words "in and to" you insert "an undivided 50% percentage interest in...." And, yes the legal description if the legal description of the property as on your existing deed and the tax form.

OK - I think I've got it. The form doesn't currently allow me to edit that 'Witnesseth' section but I think I can work that out, even if I have to completely retype. Thanks for your help. Very useful. I'll come back to you if I get any more queries.

You're very welcome!

It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Lawyer