Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm looking to build a detached garage. My township setbacks…

Customer Question
I'm looking to build...

I'm looking to build a detached garage. My township setbacks are 25 feet. My house backs up to the village. Their setbacks are 10 feet (same townships). Do I have any legal justification to a 10 foot setback on the village side of my property?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Michigan

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/25/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I'll wait
Real Estate Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer
Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Do you have a survey if your property? Is your property fully located in your township? If so, then you will be bound by the 25 ft setbacks regardless of the adjoining setback requirements that backs up to your property.
Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.