Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I was duke into an owner finance house but, they verbally…

I was duke into...

I was duke into an owner finance house but, they verbally said that that was going to finish the basement plus and that it was supposed to be a five to ten-year deal. But when we supposed to move in we were told that the current residents weren't gone yet then two months later we were told we can move in without signing the lease or documents for a contract of the deed. I have already given them a cashier check for the down payment two months earlier when I thought we were about to move in. I asked for the contract but only received a copy of an of a contract of the deed in another county after we had already moved in the basement wasn't finish plus the agreement was different from what we had verbally agreed upon. A couple of days staying there was almost an electrical fire in a socket. Now they want us to buy the house in full without gifting us our down payment . Now they want us out the house and want us to pay for 2 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Kansas City, Raytown boarder

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We never sign anything

3/25/2018
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Loren, Lawyer

What is your specific legal question?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Can she take us to court if we never sign a contract? And can we counter sue her?

Thank you for the clarification.

Without a written contract you are merely month to month tenant,s and they can not sue to enforce an unsigned written contract.

If the premises had defective electrical wiring then you have a claim for breach of the warranty of habitability, for which you can sue them.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you, ***** *****
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
thank u so much

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Are you still online with me?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I was trying to rate you

Sorry. Rating should work now. Thanks.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer