Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Thanks you We hired a contractor to do tile work in our home…

Thanks you We hired...

Thanks you We hired a contractor to do tile work in our home starting first week January 2018. He quoted one week to complete the work. He did not complete the work and after 5 weeks he stopped coming to the job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

We paid him 50% up front plus another small advance. He has in my estimation completed about 55% of the job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does the employee belong to a union?

He has not been here in 4 weeks and his tools are in my garage. He says via text and phone when I can reach him that he has a child custody battle going on the NY and cant get here. I am looking for a contractor to finish the job. I would like to carry his tools to Good Will, Habitat or or an auction to get them out of my garage. What is my recourse? Thanks you

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I remove the tools from my garage and store them at another site outrside? Thank you

3/24/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You have right to store them offsite.You will want to keep them until you can resolve the dispute.But you have right to relocate them and store elsewhere.I hope you are able to complete.You are do a refund here or you keep the tolls as offset.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

He is a one-man operation and I do not believe he is licensed or bonded but don’t know for sure.

You can store them anywhere you want, you can charge him storage in my mind.This is ridiculous.I know how hard it is to get people to just show up.I recently went through this myself.Sorry it happened to you. You just have to move forward with another tile guy.

Thanks for the follow up and rating 5 stars.

Ray, Lawyer