Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am being threatened with a tax lien for the year 2015. I…

Customer Question
I am being threatened...

I am being threatened with a tax lien for the year 2015. I did not file a tax return that year because my only income was less than $15,000 fro social security. I explained that I paid any excess mortgage payments of perhaps $20,000 from savings. I sent a certified letter to them with a return receipt which I received back with a stamped signature. They now sent me another demand for over 11,500 much of it interest and fines and threaten a lien again. I can't seem to reach a live person from their office. They offer a service to call me back but don't receive a call back though I wait all day for their call. I don't owe them any money. What can I do? Thomas Schwarz retired age 72. Berkeley CA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Only the answer to their first demand about 40 days ago when I said my only earnings in 2015 were less than $15,000 ffrom Social Security. I received a stamped receipt to my letter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

No. I don't have much money to pay anyone.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is the gist

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/24/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You may want to call them here.There was a tax return due for 2015 here

If you made $11,500 if you were 65 or older, or $10,300 a return was required.I would try to resolve it with them, you may have to wait awhile on the phone to do so.Social security is taxable income here.

Reference

https://www.efile.com/2015-do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return/

I appreciate the chance to help you , p[lease let me know if you have more followup.

Centralized Lien Operation — To resolve basic and routine lien issues: verify a lien, request lien payoff amount, or release a lien, call(###) ###-####or fax(###) ###-####

Taxpayer Advocate Service — For assistance and guidance from an independent organization within IRS, call(###) ###-####

Ray, Lawyer