Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How to get an eviction removed from my rental history from…

How to get an...

How to get an eviction removed from my rental history from 2013? The property was unsafe and another tenant was preparing meth next door, odors were very bad. There is no money owed but it is on my rental history and blocking me from moving into an a retirement community.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Yes, meth lab next door, repeated complaints from me and no fire escape.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How to get it removed ?

3/23/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear you are having to deal with this; a party can file a motion for an expungement in civil court, requesting the court to expunge the eviction so that it is not part of the petitioner's civil court records so that tenant screening companies won't have access to that information.

Basically it will be granted at the judge's discretion which is most commonly given when

1. underlying case was dismissed

2. tenant won

3. default judgment was issued.

Generally an eviction that is not expunged will remain for 7 years.

I hope this helps!

further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it; thank you.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The windows were sealed and unopenable. There is no money owed and I can't contact the property owner. We went to court and I paid all fees.

If the issue was litigated and the court found in the landlord's favor then generally the issue will not be expunged. The issue is up to the civil judge;

it will fall off one's report in 7 years even if not expunged.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Can I file necessary documents and what are they ?
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Managing Partner
Phone call session started
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator