Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rent from American Homes 4Rent and I had an issue last…

Customer Question
Hi my name is*****...

Hi my name is***** rent from American Homes 4Rent and I had an issue last year that they are refusing to reimburse me on. A Pressure Release Valve was not installed in my renal property and when the pipes ran over and the yard was flooded with water, Gwinnett Co said this issue is the Homeowners issue and they are responsible for the astronomical bills that occurred because of the equipment NOT being installed

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Yes, I have all of the water bills and the work orders

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Snellville GA

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/23/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 30 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract on the grounds that they failed to provide you with the pressure release valve on the rental property. A court would likely determine that you didn't receive the benefit of your bargain and if you had to pay for the high bills, you should be reimbursed for the difference. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer