Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Me and my brother signed a 3yr lease he never moved in move…

Me and my brother...

Me and my brother signed a 3yr lease he never moved in move in date was Feb 9th 2018 its pass 40 days can he be taking off the lease and the landlord can rewrite the lease please help me

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I'm in coral springs fl 33065

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I told the landlord and they instructed me to change the locks and don't give him a key because he brief the contract for not moving in

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes can he be taking of the lease

3/23/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

That would be at the discretion of the landlord. With him being on the lease, the landlord has another person to sue and go after, if the rent is not paid. If they want to agree to release him and he agrees and you want to be liable, you and the landlord can agree to this and he can be removed.

He already wants me to give 4500 back out of my pocket I can't do that he wants to go to the code enforcer to make them shut down the house it's nothing wrong with house
What can be done

Who is he?

I have no more money

We can continue online but who is demanding $4500?

My brother

You have no legal obligation to refund your brother anything if he decided to not move in. If you and he signed the lease and agreed to live together and now he is backing out, that is not your concern. I am not sure what Code is going to do, if there are no issues, so while he can call them, there may not be any findings or basis for the landlord to have to do anything.

OK thank you
You are welcome and glad I was able to help. If there is nothing further I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time. Thank you.
100 percent
Thank you!
RealEstateAnswer