Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Not really real estate. I found out the contractor working…

Not really real estate...

Not really real estate. I found out the contractor working on my house is making the subs pay a kickback to work at my house.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I told him he was fired, and we need to settle up. There was no written contract. It was flood damage repair from Hurricane Harvey. Subcontractors are working with me to finish the job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Baytown, Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Verbal agreement with the contractor/project manager for 15%. Actually was an acquaintance I thought I trusted, he's unlicensed and uninsured.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
What outcome do you seek?
Whether I legally owe him 15% on a verbal contract or can subtract the 5% he was charging the subs that he did not disclose and can an unlicensed individual put a lien on my home.
Contractor can get commissions from the subs. You should pay contractor the rate you both agreed to. You can ask to adjust downward based on learning of the commissions.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
acceptable, I did not think it was ethical to take commissions from subs on a job you were already getting a commission on, conflict of interest and subs just add the commission on the homeowner's bill.
It should be disclosed but it’s also common practice.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer