Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I inherited a home that I live in and also a home that I am…

Customer Question
I inherited a home...

I inherited a home that I live in and also a home that I am trying to see. Seem I have 2 homesteads, is there penalties for having two homesteads. I know I owe something.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Yes, because of selling one home the title company found my name was on 2 homesteads.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Galveston, TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband passed away in January 2017. After probating the will, I went to the appraisal office and found my name on the home with homestead. I still had a homestead on my Galveston home that I lived in for 44 years.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/23/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Texas laws, you can only have one homestead. That is because your homestead must be your primary residence. If you do have a second, you would be required to repay any extra tax savings you got from the second homestead, and a 10% interest penalty.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate five stars ***** and by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.