Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mortgage is current. I owe $763 in association dues. I…

Customer Question
My mortgage is current...

My mortgage is current. I owe $763 in association dues. I just received a "summons for eviction" and I was to know if this is reversible. I have the ability to pay the balance to zero immediately.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I literally just received the summons a few hours ago. I don't know where to even start.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Plainfield IL Will County

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/23/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The HOA only has the authority to make you leave if you do not pay the amounts owed. Unless they've already gone to court and foreclosed the unit - which you should know about it, so it doesn't sound like that happened - you can pay the amount due and stay. Their sole authority to make someone move out is based on non-payment of condo fees. Once you're paid in full, they cannot evict you.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I have no notice of foreclosure but the documents received are a court ordered summons to evict. Are they simply calling the case to be heard in front of a judge? What does that mean? So if i pay in full there should be no eviction?
The word forclosure is no where on the documents.

Since it's a summons, that should just be telling you to either move out or go to court and present a defense. If they had already foreclosed, what they're serving should be called a Writ of Execution.

You may want to call the clerk of the court to be sure. It's possible they're trying to get you to leave before selling the property.

If I pay the charges before the court date, will the case close? I don't want to pay these charges and go to court and get evicted anyway.

They cannot evict you if you pay what you owe. The entire basis for an eviction action is that they have a right to make you leave because you owe them money. But if you're concerned, you can ask their attorney to sign a release before you give them the money.

Do you have any other questions about this?