Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

After I got in touch with the Code Enforcement Agency for…

Customer Question
After I got in...

After I got in touch with the Code Enforcement Agency for Napa County, because we found out we have been rented an illegal dwelling for the past 6 yrs., (no permits, many violations), we were "Red Tagged". When I initially got in touch with the agent, I first and foremost told her I wasn't going to help her unless she could guarantee me that I wasn't going to be kicked out, and that were tenant relocation laws that would make sure we had the funds to move. She assured me over and over that we would get a "pretty good chunk" from the county, mainly because we both knew the landlord didn't have a dime to her name. When asked if it was true that the county could get us the funds reimbursed to us for up to 4 years worth of rent payments, and the county could lien her (LL) property to get the funds back, she said "THAT'S RIGHT!). So I gave her the list of violations. Convinced that this woman was on my side. She also told me she would make sure that we wouldn't be homeless. The night before she

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I don't know where to file them. I also got a copy of the violation list, and the LL removed the paragraph regarding she had to give us reimbursement funds

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the dwelling located?

Calistoga, CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The night before the inspection, Code enforcement said they didn't have any such programs to help us with relocation

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/23/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you. Code Enforcement would not have a relocation program, this is the landlord's responsibility even if she caused it out under State Law.