Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

After a 2 year commercial real estate lease, I have been…

Customer Question
After a 2 year...

After a 2 year commercial real estate lease, I have been month to month for an additional 4 and half years. On the 16th of this month I received a letter from my landlords attorney stating I had 30 days to vacate. I have a business, employees, inventory, and equipment, with no place to move too. My question is do I have any legal rights to require more time to leave?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No. I have a Semi trailer repair and sales business. It's a 2 bay garage and about 2 acres for parking.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/22/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

My question is do I have any legal rights to require more time to leave?

.

In a commercial lease situation, if you are month to month, then either party can terminate it with a 30 day written notice.. So legally, unfortunately the answer is no, there is no right for more time.. However, it will normally take around a month for the landlord to complete an eviction action through the court if he filed immediately upon the expiration of the 30 days..

.

But this would result in you having an eviction on your record forever and make renting harder...

.

So you might want to approach the landlord with a counteroffer and tell him that you need one extra month, and if he will let you stay one more month, you will move voluntarily and he won't have to go through the time and expense of an eviction...

.

That is about the best option that I see here..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much