Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am looking for information on land contract, as a seller i…

I am looking for...

I am looking for information on land contract, as a seller i entered in a land contract 3 years ago with someone who three months later ended up going to jail and has been ever since. However he has had someone make payments on his behalf, but now its the end of his contract term and he cannot pay in full. So I understand I will have to go through foreclosure proceeding due to he refuses to sign the quit claim deed. My question is when I go through the foreclosure proceeding do I have to provide him with a lawyer at my own expense because he is in jail?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Non at this point, I just got his statement saying he will not sign the quit claim.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the land located?

Its in Morehead ky...he however has been sent to Louisville Jail

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im getting ready to hire a real estate lawyer but someone told me I would have to provide him with a lawyer since he was in jail, so I was wondering if that was true?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

So I understand I will have to go through foreclosure proceeding due to he refuses to sign the quit claim deed.

.

Correct.

.

My question is when I go through the foreclosure proceeding do I have to provide him with a lawyer at my own expense because he is in jail?

.

Absolutely not. If he can't hire his own lawyer, then he will have to represent himself or just ignore things and you will end up winning by default..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer