Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My property manager is accusing me of housing "unauthorized…

Customer Question
Hi! My property manager...

Hi! My property manager is accusing me of housing "unauthorized guests" based on an undisclosed source. I am not housing anyone that is not on my lease. She is requiring me to give her the alleged guests' identification cards, and pieces of mail (utility bill specifically) matching their identification cards, but two are minors and one does not work and doesn't not pay to reside with the owner of her residence. I am being told that I have 7 days to provide the proof, and is refusing to accept anything less than a utility bill in the persons name. What can I do to clear this violation? I glanced over my lease as well, and it appears my lease ended in January. I thought I renewed my lease for a year, but I stand corrected, so I am not on a formal contract.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

I have been given a notice of "Violation concern."

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the residence located?

North Saint Paul, MN

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The manager has also falsely accused me of not paying rent before, as well as emailing me and Ramsey county in attempt to collect rent that was paid by the county and then stolen from the property, she requested double the amount and was holding me accountable for contacting the county and retrieving the money. She then met with me in person and told me that the email was not my responsibility, but was used as a scare tactic to make the county act more quickly. This leads me to question her credibility.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/22/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
I would appreciate further information. Thank you.
A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!