Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our mother died and in February 2018. She still had a

Our mother died and...

Our mother died and in February 2018. She still had a mortgage and I've been trying to take out a mortgage for what is currently owed on the house and property. My name isn't on any of her financial obligations. Is there a way me and my brother can legally Take over the payments? Is "squatters rights" an option?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

On her financials...no

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Roswell, NM

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe that's it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

ok

Under federal law you and your brother can continue paying the mortgage and the lender can not exercise a due on transfer clause.

Under the provisions of the Garn-St. Germain Act, relatives of deceased mortgage borrowers inheriting those borrowers' homes are allowed to keep those homes' mortgages as well. Garn-St. Germain even allows relatives inheriting mortgaged homes to keep those homes' mortgages in the deceased borrowers' names. Basically, surviving spouses, children, grandchildren or other relatives who are left mortgaged homes have the right to pay on their deceased spouse's or father's mortgages without fear of foreclosure. Surviving relatives must reside in the mortgaged homes left them by their deceased relatives to take on those mortgages, though.

There have been cases where mortgage companies have tried, unsuccessfully, to foreclose mortgages even when surviving spouses or joint tenants are involved. Usually, though, mortgage lenders are more concerned with receiving mortgage payments than about going through with a foreclosure. Generally speaking, mortgage lenders are aware of the regulations contained within Garn-St. Germain and mortgage due-on-sale clause preemption. Finally, surviving relative still must notify mortgage lenders of their intent to take over the mortgage as soon as possible.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer