Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I responded to an ad to lease a house in Fife. The ad had a…

I responded to an...

I responded to an ad to lease a house in Fife. The ad had a start date of 1/9/18. The leasing agent sent me an email stating the terms of the tenancy, beginning 1/9 and the length 1 year. He asked that I confirm the terms of the email to him by return email. I did. He asked me for a security deposit which I paid him. He is now telling me that the landlord has changed his mind and wants the lease to start 1/7/18. I told him that he, the agent, had confirmed the 1/9 start date and I had paid a deposit. The agent said that until an actual lease is signed, i have no rights. Can this be true?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have not. I live in the US and I don't know my rights. I want the place that was advertised and agreed upon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

St Andrews.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I like scotland?

3/22/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Is there a signed lease and deposit paid? If so landlord must honor and give occupancy or otherwise negotiate compensation. A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lease is not signed yet; however the deposit was paid and i have an email from the agent confirming the start date of 1/9. It was when i went in to sign the lease that the agent did the switch to 1/7, telling me that without a signed lease i had no rights

In this situation, landlord should honor since took funds and agent confirmed tenancy.

if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! ThanksIf you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay how i do i make him see the errors of his way?
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

I would send a letter demanding he honor the commitment or have a local lawyer do so, giving a short deadline for response.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any recommendTions for a local lawyer
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Good luck!!
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer